- All applications to be completed online – use the link provided below.
- A completed application should have:
- a short statement of interest in the school (Motivation)
- answers to statistical questions and technology familiarity questions (Tech Skills)
- letter of recommendation provided by at least one referee
- valid registration for Masters or Doctorate studies
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Make sure that you have completed all sections (8) of the application form as incomplete applications are automatically rejected.
- If you have any questions on filling out the application form, send your questions to SummerSchoolPretoria@gmail.com
- Before you start: You should set aside at least 45 minutes to complete the application form. We also need a copy of your CV (Curriculum Vitae) or a link to the electronic version of your CV. You are required to motivate why you should be selected and we ask for the e-mail addresses of two people who would be willing to write reference letters for you. It may be best to collect all of these before you start so that the application itself is a smooth process for you.
- If your application is accepted you will receive notification to that effect on the email address you provided on the online application form. Therefore, make sure that it is a mail address that you regularly access. This notification will be sent before 30 November 2019. You will be required to complete the registration by 10 December 2019. If we have not received confirmation of your attendance another applicant will be given the opportunity to accept the invitation to attend.
Please note that applications are now closed!!
- The level of study,
- Educational history,
- Thesis/dissertation description,
- Motivation for participation,
- Current role/expertise,
- Technology skills, and
- Statistical knowledge
- Apply to attend the Summer School: 15 October 2019 EXTENDED TO 31 October 2019
- Successful applicants notified: 30 November 2019
- Registration fee paid: 15 December 2019
- Summer School commences: 13 January 2020
- Only those applications with all eight sections completed will be considered.
- A review panel, consisting of six members, will review and grade all applications, individually. The six individual scores will then be accumulated to create the candidate’s application score. Social and Natural Science candidates will be separated and the candidates with top scores in each of these groups will be selected.
- The scoring rubric will consider all application-form criteria. There is no single elimination factor.
- It is preferable that participants will have already collected their own research data but this is not mandatory.
- Registered PhD (or equivalent) candidates will have a slight advantage over other applicants but the review panel will consider all applications.
- Successful candidates will be notified by 30 November 2019.
- Those who were not successful in applying for this Summer School will be notified after 15 December 2019.
There are NO application fees but if your application is successful you will be required to pay a registration fee of R1 150.00 (one thousand, one hundred and fifty Rand).
After you have been approved and formally agreed to participate in the activity, you MUST notify the organisers if you think you will not be able to attend the event. Remember that the number of participants is limited and other students would be glad to attend the event. For this reason, cancellation with no previous notification may imply that you will not be able to apply for any future CODATA-RDA activities or training.